There are many messaging applications that enable us to message directly and instantly, including WeChat, WhatsApp, Telegram, Facebook Messenger and so on.
What is Telegram?
Telegram is one of the most popular messaging apps that allows users to exchange encrypted and self-destructing messages and send photos, videos and all kinds of files. You can use it either on your phone or computers.
Top benefits of Telegram
- End-to-end encryption allows users to have a secret chat with others. Forwarding messages and screenshot are impossible in secret chats.
- Telegram stores all your data on cloud. That is to say, you won’t have trouble checking your previous messages when you change a device.
- Also, this doesn’t mean you lose control of your data. You can not only delete messages you sent but also messages from others. This is a feature that you may appreciate when you want to remove specific conversations.
- Apart from being removed manually, conversation content can also be automatically removed after a preset time. If you don’t want the contact you talk with via a secret chat to log this conversation, you set a time for the conversation to self-destruct.
- Telegram is almost compatible with all platforms and accessible to users through all kinds of browsers. You are able to continue messaging friends on less popular devices via less popular browsers.
However, if you are not satisfied with Telegram or have few friends using Telegram, you may want to quit using it and permanently delete your account. If that’s the case, you’ve come to the right place.
How to Delete Telegram Account Permanently?
There are 2 ways to delete your Telegram account permanently:
Telegram has a self-destruction function that will automatically delete your account if you are inactive for a certain time.
The default period is six months, which means that your account will be deleted if you remain inactive for six months. What you should bear in mind is that this function cannot be disabled. You should watch out self-destruction if you don’t mean to delete your account.
To adopt self-destruction to delete your Telegram account, you can follow our instructions below:
- Open the Telegram app on a mobile phone or computer.
- Tap on the menu icon on the top left corner of the page.
- Select “Settings”.
- Tap “Privacy and Security”.
- Scroll down to the advanced section and click on “Delete My Account if away for”.
- Select the period to self-destruct.
- Then, all you have to do is wait for your account to self-destruct.
If you don’t want to wait for one month and above, you can delete it manually.
- Go to the Telegram Account Deactivation page through a web browser.
- Enter the phone number that you used to create the Telegram account in international format.
- Click “Next” and check your Telegram app for the confirmation code.
- Go back to the deactivation page to fill in the confirmation code you receive in the Telegram app.
- Then, you will go to the next page. Click on “Deactivate account” and tap “Done”.
- Next, you will see the question: “Why are you leaving?” Since it is optional, you can just skip it.
- At last, you will be asked whether you are sure about your decision. If you are sure, click on “Yes, delete my account”.
What happens if I delete my Telegram account?
- Close your Telegram account.
- Delete all your data stored on Telegram cloud, including contacts, messages, etc.
- Your groups and channels still exist, but invitation link and admins cannot be updated.
You cannot undo this operation. Therefore, you should think twice before deleting your Telegram account. If you have made up your mind to delete a Telegram account, you’d better back up your important data.
Since some of you may leave Telegram due to security concerns, you should be aware of the following things.
- Telegram provides safer online communication than the vast majority of messaging apps. Switching to another app can’t solve your problem fundamentally.
- Other apps on your device are also likely to keep a track of your activity through them. You may be surprised at how much they know about you.
- There may be hackers, eavesdroppers and spies tracking you while you browsing online.
- You should make use of various security tools to secure your data. We recommend you to install the best VPN on your device.
There are still many other useful tips on keeping you secure and private online. You can refer to our previous articles.