Ghana, with a population of over 28 million people, is located along the Gulf of Guinea in the western part of Africa. Ghana is home to the world’s largest reservoir, the Volta Lake, and astonishing landscapes. According to Freedom House, Ghana is declared “free and open” in terms of internet freedom.
Despite being the third country in Africa to get internet access, Ghana’s internet penetration is relatively low – about 39% of its population. Even without government interference and censorship, internet users in Ghana are still restricted from full access to major websites like Netflix and Hulu due to geo-restriction.
The only way to bypass geo-blocking in Ghana is to use a VPN. This article will recommend the best VPN for Ghana. So, read on.
What is a VPN?
VPN is short for Virtual Private Network. A VPN works by transmitting your internet activity through an encrypted tunnel that’s created between your device and the VPN’s server. This makes it very difficult for third parties to spy on your internet activity.
VPNs are used to generate safe connections across a less secure network, like the public Internet. When you use a VPN, all of your data is secure and your internet activity is untraceable.
A VPN does not only secure your data, but it also gives you online privacy and access to websites that are geo-restricted in Ghana.
Not all VPNs are suitable for use in Ghana. Read on to learn more about features to look out for while choosing a VPN in Ghana.
Features of a Good VPN
This is a list of recommended features to look out for when choosing a VPN for Ghana.
1. Privacy and Anonymity: A good VPN must be able to conceal your original identity on the internet by spoofing your IP address.
2. Data Encryption: A good VPN must utilize military-grade encryption to keep your data safe from hackers.
3. Bandwidth and Speed: A good VPN should offer unlimited bandwidth and moderate speed to enable you to stream high definition content with ease.
4. Kill Switch: A good VPN must possess a kill switch to stop your internet connection if there is any disruption in connection.
5. No-logging Policy: No VPN should keep logs. Do away with any VPN that keeps logs.
6. Cross-Platform: A good VPN must work across all platforms and devices (Windows, Mac iOS and Android.
Is it Legal to Use a VPN in Ghana?
Yes. It is legal to use a VPN in Ghana. The Ghanaian government is liberal and respects the fundamental human rights of its citizens.
A Free VPN Sounds Good, Doesn’t It?
No, it doesn’t! Have you ever wondered how free VPN providers make their money since they offer their services for free? I’d tell you.
Free VPNs keep logs of your internet activities and sell them to make money. Also, free VPNs don’t guarantee your privacy which leaves you vulnerable to cyber-attacks. This is why you should stay away from free VPNs.
What is the Best VPN for Ghana?
After checking the features offered by major VPN providers, we recommend RitaVPN as the best VPN service provider for Ghana.
RitaVPN is recommended as the best VPN for Ghana for several reasons. One of such is that RitaVPN has numerous amounts of servers situated in different parts of the world.
Normally, using a VPN slows down your internet speed but RitaVPN has a way of boosting your internet speed by complementing it with unlimited bandwidth. This coupled with its fast servers enables you to access unfiltered content from geo-restricted websites and stream content in high definition.
If you’re a foreigner visiting or living in Ghana, you can get access to the shows and content you’ve subscribed for by connecting to any of RitaVPN’s servers in your country.
With RitaVPN, your privacy and anonymity are guaranteed. Whether you use the private connection or public Wi-Fi hotspot, RitaVPN uses AES-256 encryption and OpenVPN protocol to encrypt your internet traffic, thereby securing you from the spying eyes of hackers.
Since RitaVPN does not encourage logging, nobody except you can know your internet activity. Also, RitaVPN does not leak user data in any way.
Worthy of mention is RitaVPN’s competent technical staff and its easy-to-use interface. You don’t need technical knowledge to operate it, which makes it user-friendly to beginners.
Websites You Can Access in Ghana With RitaVPN
There are geo-restricted websites that you can access with RitaVPN in Ghana.
1. Netflix: When you access Netflix from Ghana, it only displays the local content to you. However, you can catch up with your favorite show on Netflix with RitaVPN. Go Netizen!
2. Hulu: Hulu is a video streaming website that can only be accessed from U.S.A, Japan, and U.S military bases. With RitaVPN, you can stream Hulu from the comfort of your home in Ghana.
3. HBO GO: This streaming service is only available to HBO subscribers and can be accessible with RitaVPN.
RitaVPN is somewhat considerate of its pricing offers. RitaVPN offers a 50% discount on its yearly plan and a 25% discount on its 6 months plan. You can subscribe to any of the plans below.
- Yearly Plan – This is recommended for you if you want to get more and pay less. For $64.99, you are covered by RitaVPN for a whole year.
- 6-Months Plan – If you can’t afford the yearly plan, then this is the offer for you. Enjoy RitaVPN’s services for six months for $49.99.
- Monthly Plan – You can start with the monthly plan if the 6-months and yearly subscriptions are not in your budget. Stream high definition videos from geo-restricted websites for $10.99 monthly.
How to Use RitaVPN
You can have RitaVPN set up on your devices in few clicks! All you have to do is visit RitaVPN’s official website, create an account on the website, choose and pay for your preferred plan, download and install RitaVPN apps on your devices.
In conclusion, RitaVPN is the best VPN for Ghana because it enables you to access restricted and unlimited content while keeping you secure and anonymous at the same time.