- What is Facebook Messenger?
- How to start a secret conversation on Facebook Messenger?
- Can I start a secret group conversation?
- Can I start a secret conversation on desktops?
- What can I send in a secret conversation?
- Can I forward or save the message of a secret conversation?
- Can I delete secret messages or conversations from the other side of the conversation?
- Can I take a screenshot of the secret conversation?
- Can I see who sends me a message through the secret chat when I lock the screen?
- Security issues
- What can you do to secure your private information?
In the past, Internet users relied on messaging apps only to have quick and stable chats with friends and families. Their main requirement for these apps is instant messaging. Messaging apps offered simple features that satisfied them. But Internet users began to ask more from messaging apps later. Because the Internet began to be full of cyber threats. Sometimes you need extra protection for your chats.
- When you are sending private information like financial details to your contacts.
- When you are sharing something weird with others.
- The topic of your chat is sensitive, such as political topics.
Thankfully, we have secure messaging apps like Facebook Messenger that allow us to open a secret conversation. When you chat with a contact via secret conversation, your conversation will be secured by end-to-end encryption.
Today, we are going to talk about how to use secret conversations on Facebook Messenger in this article. Please keep on reading if you want to learn more about the secret conversation.
What is Facebook Messenger?
Facebook Messenger was a built-in feature of Facebook that provides an instant messaging service. In August 2011, the dedicated versions for iOS and Android devices were released. From then on, Facebook Messenger began to launch apps for various platforms.
It is now available on Android, iOS, Windows and macOS. You can send messages, pictures, stickers, videos, voice recordings and even payment via Facebook Messenger. Besides, you are able to chat with any friend who signs in to his or her Facebook account.
How to start a secret conversation on Facebook Messenger?
For the sake of your security, you can start a secret conversation on Facebook Messenger to encrypt your messages. With the end-to-end encryption, your messages won’t be visible to others except for the other side of the secret chat.
Before starting a secret conversation on one device, you have to turn it on first.
Enable secret conversation in iOS and Android:
- Launch Facebook Messenger.
- In the top-left corner of the Chat tab, tap your profile picture.
- Scroll down to “Secret Conversations” and tap it.
- Tap “Secret Conversations” to turn it on.
- When the confirmation pop-up appears, choose “Turn On”. Then, you will be able to open a secret conversation on this device that you’ve logged into your Facebook Messenger.
If you are using an iOS device, do the following steps:
- Open the Facebook Messenger app on your device.
- Tap the pencil icon on the top-right corner of the screen.
- Then, you will see “Secret” in the top-right corner. Just tap it.
- Choose one from the contacts to create a secret conversation.
If you are using an android device, do the following steps:
- Open the Facebook Messenger app on your phone.
- On the top-right corner of the screen, tap the pencil icon.
- A lock icon will appear on the top-right corner.
- Tap the lock icon and select a person from your contacts to create a secret conversation.
Can I start a secret group conversation?
No, you can’t. The secret conversation of Facebook only supports one-on-one conversation. Thus, you can’t start a secret group chat on Facebook Messenger.
Can I start a secret conversation on desktops?
No, you can’t. It is a pity that the secret conversation feature is not available on desktops because neither the desktop clients nor the web version support secret conversations. You can use the secret conversation in the Messenger app of your iOS and Android devices.
What can I send in a secret conversation?
In a secret conversation, you can send text messages, images, stickers, videos and voice recordings.
Can I forward or save the message of a secret conversation?
No, you can’t. The messages of a secret conversation can not be forwarded or saved.
Can I delete secret messages or conversations from the other side of the conversation?
Of course not. It is true that you can delete messages of a secret conversation and all secret conversations on your side. It is also quite easy to do so.
But what you should keep in mind is that this won’t delete these messages and secret conversations from the other side of the conversation. And it is impossible to delete sent or received messages from the device of the one you are chatting with via a secret conversation.
So, you’d better choose to let the messages you sent vanish after a certain period. By default, the messages you send via a secret conversation will disappear 10 seconds after they are read. If you want to change the time the messages vanish, you can tap the clock icon next to the type-in box to choose a time period that you prefer.
Can I take a screenshot of the secret conversation?
Facebook Messenger doesn’t take measures to prevent you and the other side of your secret conversation from taking a screenshot of the conversation. Besides, you won’t receive an alert of screenshots taken by your contact.
Can I see who sends me a message through the secret chat when I lock the screen?
You will receive notifications when messages come from secret conversations. But you won’t know who sent you the messages from the notifications.
Although secret conversations on Facebook Messenger are protected by end-to-end encryption and other security features, it is impossible to completely stop the other side of your conversation from revealing your privacy. For example, taking a screenshot, taking photos with another phone and so on.
Thus, you must be very careful when sharing your private information with others. You are responsible for your own privacy and security online.
What can you do to secure your private information?
First of all, you should bear it in mind that your privacy can still be disclosed even with secret conversations.
In addition, you should take extra protection to secure your privacy on the Internet. A virtual private network is a must-have security tool on your device to stop online tracking and unblock websites. Try the RitaVPN now!!! It is the best VPN for Internet security and privacy.