Skype has been around since its initial release in 2003, allowing users to send messages, make voice calls, share many kinds of media and data to other users. Regardless of its attractive features, you may choose to close your Skype account. If you find deleting your Skype account is much more complicated than many other accounts, you’ve come to the right place to get guides on account deletion.
Things to consider before you delete your Skype account
It is known that most service providers make account deletion more complex in case users close their accounts by accident. So does Skype. Since Skype was acquired by Microsoft, there are more things to take care of if you decide to close your Skype account.
To make sure you still have access to other Microsoft services, you should unlink your Microsoft account.
- Visit Skype.com and log into your Skype account.
- Head to “Settings and preference”.
- Open “Account settings”.
- Tap “Unlink” next to your Microsoft account.
- When the confirmation window appears, choose “Continue” to unlink your Microsoft account.
If you have used your Skype account to purchase subscriptions, you should also cancel subscriptions that are still active.
How to delete your Skype account?
Now that you’ve unlinked your Microsoft account and canceled your subscriptions on Skype, you can choose one from the following methods to close your Skype account.
Close your Skype account on Android or iOS devices
- Open the Skype app on your Android or iOS phone.
- Tap your profile picture.
- Tap “settings”.
- Choose “Account ＆ Profile”.
- Under this section, you will see the “Close your account” option. Tap it to continue.
- When you are required to verify your identity, enter your ID and password again. Your account shall be verified via email or SMS.
- Read the list of things you need to take care of before deleting your Skype account.
- If you are sure you’ve taken care of all of the listed things, tap “Next” to continue.
- Then, it will show you the consequences of closing your Skype account. Read carefully to make sure you really want to leave Skype.
- Mark each item and select a reason from the drop-down list of reasons for deletion or “My reason isn’t listed”.
- Tap “Mark account for closure”.
- Wait 60 days for Microsoft to process your request.
Close your Skype account on computers
- Launch Skype on your computer.
- Tap the profile icon on the top-left corner.
- Scroll down to “settings”, select it, and you will be guided to “Account ＆ Profile”.
- From the options on the right panel, tap “Close your account”.
- Follow the instructions to verify your identity.
- Check the list of things you need to consider before you close your Skype account and tap “Next”.
- Check the list of consequences after closing your Skype account.
- If you have made up your mind to delete your Skype account, mark each consequence and select a reason for account deletion.
- If your reason is not listed, choose “My reason isn’t listed” and click “Mark account for closure”.
- Your request for account deletion will be processed by Microsoft within 60 days.
Head to your Microsoft account
In addition to closing your Skype account from inside the Skype app, you can also head to your Microsoft account to mark your Skype account for closure. The procedure is very similar to the above-mentioned methods. By referring to these instructions, you can delete your Skype account with ease.
Contact Skype Customer Service
If you still find none of the above-mentioned ways makes the account deletion simple, you can contact Skype Customer Service to delete it for you. So, you don’t have to do all of these by yourself.
Although Skype is a VoIP service that has gain popularity since its release, many users find they are down with it. The reasons that users decide to leave Skype vary. And there are many good alternatives to Skype for your security and privacy.
However, a secure alternative to Skype is not enough if you want to stay secure and private online. The best solution is to use a virtual private network. A VPN service allocates you a new IP address and redirects your traffic through an encrypted tunnel. In this way, you are protected from the government, ISP, hackers and even terrorists.
In this regard, we’d like to introduce RitaVPN to you. It is the best VPN for you to browse the Internet safely and anonymously. Besides, RitaVPN can unblock websites if any of the Skype alternatives is not available in your country. Last but not least, RitaVPN provides affordable subscription plans and free trials as well. This VPN service won’t let you down.